The purpose of this project is to contextualize some functional writing and language issues that learners need to understand. This newspaper project ties the ideas into a realistic, practical situation and the skills are understood more clearly and practised more efficiently. It is also much more fun!
Some aspects included:
- Fact and Opinion
- Emotive Language
- Connotation & Denotation
- Two kinds of news reportsWriting a news report
- How to voice your opinion / personal comment
- Intention / Style / register / tone
- How to write letters to the Editor
- Visual literacy
- Advertising / classifieds
- Linguistic techniques in advertising
Complied by N. Kirby
Number of pages: 37
Download, copy and hand out to the learners!